I recently received a can of Baltic sprats as a gift from a Russian friend. A major Latvian export, this fish is of a fantastic taste and size between anchovy and sardine. I was wondering what to do with it, as I did not want to just eat it with bread like how it is traditionally done in the Baltic region. So I came up with this fusion recipe.
- 8 canned Baltic sprats in oil
- 2 slices brown bread
- 1 avocado
- Half green apple
- Olive oil
- Freshly grounded black pepper
- Coarse- grain sea salt
- Cream of balsamic (aged balsamic vinegar)
- Garnishing: spring onion
Servings: 1 person
- Take your sprats out of the can and put it under an oven grill for ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, skin your avocado, remove the seed and cut into 8 slices.
- Use only half a green apple. Cut into 8 slices.
- Lightly toast your bread in a toaster. Once done, put on serving plate.
- Sprinkle some olive oil on the bread to slightly moisten it.
- Place four slices of avocado and four slices of green apple on each toast in an alternate fashion.
- Sprinkle your ground pepper and a few grains of sea salt on these.
- Once the sprats are done, place them on the toast and dribble some cream of balsamic over them.
- Garnish with spring onions, and serve!