The taste of this dish is very light, so light that many might overlook its nutritious value.
First of all, amaranth leaves (Xiàn Caì 苋菜) are a detox agent. It is an instant cure for constipation and it aids urination and the expulsion of toxins.
Goji berries have about 20 different vitamins and minerals, and 18 different amino acids. In Chinese medicine, long term use nurtures the kidney and improves eyesight.
Black fungus prevents the formation of lipofuscin, which is the ageing agent in your body.
Last but not least, Shanyao (山药) is an important plant that nurtures your urinary and digestive systems.
- 500g amaranth leaves (Use the whole green ones if possible)
- 500ml water
- 200g of fish bones OR fish meat (cod or any other large white-fleshed fish)
- 3 tbs dried goji berries
- 3 tbs dried black fungus
- 4 slices of Shanyao
- 2 slices of fresh ginger
- Salt, to taste
Servings: 2 persons
- If you can find fish bones, use that. It will make the soup milky but that is the effect which you want. Otherwise, use normal fish meat but cut it into thick slices.
- Wash and dry your amaranth leaves. Break into smaller branches. Leave aside.
- Soak your black fungus in water. After 30 minutes, drain and cut them into strips.
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to boil.
- Boil your Shanyao, goji berries on low heat for 30 minutes or until the Shanyao is soft. Add in your black fungus.
- Add your fish and ginger and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring to boil some water in another pot and cook your amaranth leaves in it for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the leaves and line your serving bowls with them.
- Add salt to your soup but make sure it is not too salty.
- Once done, pour the soup into the serving bowls.
- If you use fish bones, remember to discard those before adding your soup to the serving bowls.
If you like this dish, perhaps you’d want to try my other dish with amaranth leaves: Tricoloured Eggs with Amaranth Leaves 三色蛋苋菜, or other dishes of the Chinese Medicinal Cuisine.